About the Program:
The Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program is a flagship leadership development program at the entry-level for advanced degree candidates. Created more than three decades ago, the Program attracts and selects from among the best candidates and is designed to develop a cadre of potential Federal Government Leaders.
Key Aspects of the PMF Program:
- The PMF Program is currently administered by the PMF program Office within OPM.
- OPM announces the opportunity to apply for the PMF Program (usually in the late summer or early fall).
- Applicants go through rigorous assessment process to determine Finalists.
- Agencies provide OPM with information about their PMF opportunities and can post PMF appointment opportunities for those who are Finalists on the PMF website year-round. In addition, a job fair is typically held for Finalists each year.
- Finalists who obtain an appointment as a PMF serve in a two-year excepted service position.
- Individuals who have completed within the past two years, a qualifying advanced degree (e.g., masters or professional degree).
- An individual may apply for the PMF Program more than once as long as he or she meets the eligibility criteria.
Training and Development:
- The PMF Program Office provides newly hired PMFs an opportunity to participate in its Orientation and Training Program.
- Senior-level mentorship throughout the program.
- Individual Development Plan to create and track a PMFs career planning, professional development, and training activities.
- Development opportunities in the occupation or functional discipline for the PMF would most likely be placed.
- At least 80 hours of formal, interactive training each year of the program, for a total of 160 hours.
- PMFs are placed on a performance plan and must obtain a successful rating each year.
Program Completion and Conversion:
- After successful Program completion and job performance, the PMF may be converted to a permanent position (or, in some limited circumstances a term appointment lasting 1-4 years) in the competitive service.
How to Apply:
The PMF Program accepts application annually, usually in the fall. When the application window opens, you will find an announcement on USAJOBS. For more information, visit
Lead Organizational Unit: