Research Interests: Advanced sensors and imaging, image processing, computer and machine vision, data mining and pattern recognition.
Research Projects: Biosciences and Laboratory Diagnosis
- P. Bajcsy, A. Vandecreme, J.
Amelot, J. Gao, J. Chalfoun, M. Majurski, and M. Brady, "Enabling
Interactive Measurements from Large Coverage Microscopy," IEEE Computer, Accepted
in September, 2015.
- P. Bajcsy, A. Cardone, J. Chalfoun,
M. Halter, D. Juba, M. Kociolek, M. Majurski, A. Peskin,
C. G. Simon Jr, M. Simon, A. Vandecreme, and M. Brady, "Survey
Statistics of Automated Segmentations Applied to Optical Imaging of Mammalian
Cells," BMC Bioinformatics, Accepted in September, 2015.
- P. Bajcsy, M. Simon, S. Florczyk,
D. Juba, C. G. Simon Jr, and M. Brady, "A Method for the Evaluation of
Thousands of Automated 3D Stem Cell Segmentations," Journal of Microscopy, Aug 13, 2015; doi: 10.1111/jmi.12303.
More journal publications ....
Books and Book Chapters:
- P. Bajcsy, K. McHenry, and R. Kooper, "Interaction between Objects Born in Digital and Physical Spaces," in in Pervasive Adaptation book on the Next Generation Pervasive Computing Research Agenda, A. Ferscha, Ed. Seattle, Washington: A book by Th. Sc. Community, Johannes Kepler University Linz, 2011, p. 80.
- W. McFadden, R. Kooper, S.-C. Lee, and P. Bajcsy, "Comprehensive and Scalable Appraisals of Contemporary Documents," in in Applications of Machine Learning, Y. Zhang, Ed. IN-TECH, 2010, pp. 87–108.
- P. Bajcsy and R. Kooper, "Integration of Data Across Disparate Sensing Systems Over Both Time and Space to Design Smart Environments," in in Sustainable Radio Frequency Identification Solutions, no. 1, C. Turcu, Ed. IN-TECH, 2010, pp. 281–306.
More books and book chapters ....
- S.F. Florczyk, P. Baker,
S. Bodhak, D. Juba, A. Cardone, P.S. Pine, M. Brady, S. Sarkar, P. Bajcsy, D. Chen, C.G.
Simon: 3D Cellular Morphotyping of Scaffold Niches, BioImage Informatics
Conference, NIST Gaithersburg, October 14-16, 2015.
- P. Bajcsy, P. Nguyen, A. Vandecreme, M. Brady: Spatial computations over terabyte-sized images on hadoop platforms. In 2014 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (Big Data). Washington DC; USA.: IEEE; 2014:816–824.
- A. Peskin, S. Lund, M. Halter, A. Plant, P. Bajcsy: Automated Ranking of Stem Cell Colonies By Translating Biological Rules to Computational Models. In Proceedings of the 5th ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Informatics (ACM BCB). Los Angeles CA: ACM; 2014:13–22.
- P. Bajcsy, A. Vandecreme, J. Amelot, P. Nguyen, J. Chalfoun, and M.
Brady, "Terabyte-sized Image Computations on Hadoop Cluster Platforms,"
in IEEE International Conference on Big Data, 2013.
More conference papers ....
- "To measure or not to
measure TB-sized images?" The Bradley Department of Electrical and
Computer Engineering, Virginia Tech Research Center, Arlington, VA, September
- "Interactive Analyses of Giga-pixel Images of Stem Cell Colonies," National
Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), Bethesda, MD, March 3rd,
- "Toward Stem Cell
Therapies via Live Imaging and Analyses of Terabyte-Sized Images," American
Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual meeting, Session on Improving
Quality of Life by Transforming Images to Health Care Decisions, San Jose, CA, February 15th, 2015.
- "Interactive Analyses
of Giga-pixel Images of Stem Cell Colonies," Drexel University, January 14th,
- "To Measure or Not To Measure Terabyte-Sized
Images?" UIC Bioengineering Seminar, November 7th, 2014.
- "Measurement Science Based on Full Coverage
Microscopic Measurements" UMD GPU Summit, October 27, 2014.
2010 - 2014 Presentations ....
Quotes About My Work
- The International Science Grid This Week (iSGTW), "Feature - Digital visual inspection," by Miriam Boon, Issue 203: iSGTW 1 December 2010; URL: http://www.isgtw.org/feature/digital-visual-inspection
- The New York Times, "Digital Keys for Unlocking the Humanities' Riches," By Patricia Cohen Published: November 16, 2010; on-line http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/arts/17digital.html?_r=1
- The New York Times, "From 'Avatar' Playbook, Athletes Use 3-D Imaging," by James Glanz and Alan Schwarz, Published: October 2, 2010 on-line at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/sports/03reality.html?_r=1, and October 3, 2010, (the Sunday issue) on page A1 of the New York edition of NY Times.
- Futurity, "Real-time action in a virtual world" by Erika Strebel-Illinois posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 15:57; see http://futurity.org/top-stories/real-time-action-in-a-virtual-world/
- NCSA Headline News, "NCSA researchers create interactive virtual learning space," March 25, 2009, http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/News/09/0325NCSAresearchers.html
- HPCWire, The Next Big Thing in Humanities, Arts and Social Science Computing: 18thConnect by Kevin Franklin and Karen Rodriguez, November 24, 2008, http://www.hpcwire.com/features/The_Next_Big_Thing_in_Humanities_Arts_and_Social_Science_Computing_18thConnect_35010199.html
- NCSA Headline News, "Students embark on Google Summer of Code projects with NCSA," June 16-17, 2008, SupercomputingOnline.com: http://www.supercomputingonline.com/print.php?sid=15764
- NCSA Headline News, "3D volume reconstruction technique improves accuracy and performance", December 6, 2006, http://access.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Stories/nuggets/uveal.html
- Talbot D. "The Fading Memory of the State," MIT Technology Review, July 2005, TechnologyReview.com, the article is published and web accessible at: http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/07/issue/feature_memory.asp
Software and Systems Division
Information Systems Group
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
M.S., University of Pennsylvania, 1994