Technical Guidelines Development Committee (TGDC)
Human Factors and Privacy Subcommittee (HFP)*
April 26, 2007
Draft Minutes


1. Administrative Updates (Allan Eustis)
2. Run through of current version of Usability and Accessibility VVSG chapter to discuss proposed edits and issues.
3. Other issues

Attendees: Alexis Scott Morrison, Allan Eustis, Commissioner Davidson (EAC), David Baquis (U.S. Access Board), John Cugini, Jon Crickenberger (NVLAP), Mat Masterson (EAC), Sharon Laskowski, Steve Freeman (NVLAP), Wendy Havens

Administrative Updates (Allan Eustis):

  • Next week's CRT time slot on Thursday, May 3rd will be offered to STS. (Note: Since the meeting, this has changed - May 3rd there will be no subcommittee meetings).

Discussion of Usability and Accessibility Chapter (John Cugini):

The purpose of today's HFP meeting was to go over recent changes and issues of the HFP chapter of the VVSG. There will be a final iteration of changes after this via telcon before the May plenary.

Major Changes:

1.1.2 - Special Terminology - Common Industry Format (CIF)
We talked about getting a customized version but will not be able to by July deadline. We will put together a template to provide guidance so vendors don't have to second guess. Template will be ready after draft VVSG is released. Comment to be deleted in delivered version. - A & C - Overall Effectiveness/Satisfaction
We don't have benchmarks for this yet. Completing tests of 100 users by June 1st. Calculations will be completed by June 15th. HFP will have a telecom with TGDC members to go over these numbers once received. HFP will write a white paper to explain how we got these numbers. Currently there is a hole in the standard. - Ability to Vote Without Human Assistance
We have one metric among many. We are not going to render human assistance because we want to see how people do by themselves. There is not way of counting. We are not proposing we do. It would be in as an untested requirement. We do not have the money to do separate tests and protocols. The question is whether we should leave this requirement in or remove. Consensus at meeting was to remove. Sharon will discuss with Whitney. - Vendor Testing
This is a formatting issue that we think we've solved. Vendors must do usability testing and report results. The question is whether it goes in this chapter or the reporting section. The proposal is to keep requirement here and put the consolidate report in Volume 4. This issue applies to 6 or 7 requirements under this section.

1.2.2.D - Notification of Ballot Casting
This is a new requirement. It was in the CRT section but should be in the HFP chapter. This just states that there should be a signal when a ballot has been cast and a signal when it hasn't or a lengthy period of inactivity.

1.2.3.A - Completeness of Instructions
Used to say voting systems would provide instruction for operations. Changed to clarify that each voting station must provide instructions.

1.2.4.H - Visual Access to VVPAT
Current thinking is that this requirement belongs with other VVPAT requirements. (It will remain written as is unless there are objections.) Sharon to check on status of latest VVPAT section to make sure it gets moved there.

1.2.5.C - Accidental Activation
This is not controversial. Whitney has asked for a new discussion to be added for explanation of requirement.

1.2.8.A - Clarity of System Messages for Poll Workers
Added a section stating that all messages for poll workers be written in plain language as well as the instructions for voters.

1.3 - Accessibility Requirements
We added a statement that all requirements for usability apply to all systems, including accessible voting systems. Mat suggested a wording change to clarify.

1.3.1.A - Accessibility Throughout Voting System and 1.3.1.A.1 - Documentation of Accessibility Procedures
Added per request by Whitney. These requirements are to make sure there is ability to evaluate system at a higher lever - the end-to-end requirements. These are the new draft requirements - Sharon will run them by Whiteny. David Baquis supports these in as there consistent with ADA section 508.

1.3.1.E - Accessibility of Paper-Based Vote Verification
This was discussed at the last TGDC plenary meeting and was written based on the resolution passed at that meeting. STS does not feel that is adds much for security. David Baquis had comments about whether it was necessary or should be elevated to higher level to cover all disabilities. His comments will be posted on the public comments page of the TGDC website.

1.3.4.C - Ballot Submission
This is for voters with dexterity problems. It is a carryover from the 05 requirements. Is it practical, would it stop EBMs from being certified? No one wants to change it.

After the major changes were discussed, John Cugini ran through the document to discuss small wording changes that clarified requirements; changed wording to make them in plain language; and/or added discussions for clarification of requirements.

Meeting adjourned at 12:00 p.m.

Our next telecon is scheduled for: Friday, May 4, 2007 at 11 AM ET

[* Pursuant to the Help America Vote Act of 2002, the TGDC is charged with directing NIST in performing voting systems research so that the TGDC can fulfill its role of recommending technical standards for voting equipment to the EAC. This teleconference discussion serves the purposes of the HFP subcommittee of the TGDC to direct NIST staff and coordinate its voting-related research relevant to the VVSG 2007. Discussions on this telecon are preliminary and do not necessarily reflect the views of NIST or the TGDC.]



Link to NIST HAVA Page

Last updated: July 25, 2007
Point of Contact

Privacy policy / security notice / accessibility statement
Disclaimer / FOIA
NIST is an agency of the U.S. Commerce Department