VetJobs @ NIST: The NIST One-Stop Shop for Veterans Employment Information
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) offers employment opportunities for U.S. military veterans who have honorably served on behalf of our Nation. NIST has many highly qualified veterans who contribute to its mission in the areas of science and engineering, information technology, acquisition, administration and support. NIST offers opportunities for veterans to continue serving our country as Federal civilian employees by:
- Promoting and advocating the recruitment, hiring, and advancement of highly qualified veterans; and
- Educating veterans to utilize veterans' preference.
Top 10 Reasons to Hire Veterans
- Accelerated learning curve: In addition to possessing transferable capabilities, veterans have the proven ability to learn new skills and concepts.
- Leadership: The military trains its members to lead by example as well as through direction, delegation, motivation and inspiration, even in the most difficult circumstances.
- Teamwork: Veterans understand how to work well with other team members to ensure that the mission is completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Diversity and inclusion in action: Veterans have learned to work side-by-side with individuals regardless of their race, gender, geographic origin, ethnic background, religion, economic status, and capabilities.
- Efficient performance under pressure: Under the stress of tight schedules and limited resources, veterans know how to accomplish priorities on time.
- Respect for organizational structure and procedures: With their acceptance of a high degree of accountability for themselves, superiors and subordinates, veterans quickly adjust to and understand their role within any hierarchical or organizational framework.
- Current with technology: Veterans frequently have experience with the most advanced information and network technology.
- Integrity: Veterans know what it means to do “an honest day's work.” Prospective employers can benefit from their honesty and trustworthiness.
- Conscious of safety standards: Thanks to extensive training and awareness, veterans can be instrumental in protecting employees, property and materials.
- Triumph over adversity: Many veterans have learned to handle difficult situations with strength and determination.